Hunter Holmes McGuire VA Medical Center - Richmond, VA
When people’s identities are stolen, their worlds can be torn apart. That’s why VA’s Office of Identity Safety is launching the More Than a Number Campaign this September. It is intended to raise awareness of how you can help prevent identity theft – you are the first and most important line of defense.
Each piece of personally identifiable information – whether a birth date, Social Security number, or mailing address – is more than just a number. It represents the identity, livelihood, and personal well-being of a Veteran, a colleague, and your own family and friends.
Your Role in Defending Veterans’ Identities
As a VA employee, you play a crucial role in defending personally identifiable information. It’s important that you double-check mailing addresses, encrypt emails, lock monitors, and make the other small changes that prevent identity thieves from using sensitive data to inflict harm. Even if you don’t physically handle sensitive data on a daily basis, your access to VA facilities and networks makes you a gateway to sensitive information.
Equipping You With the Right Tools
The More Than a Number Campaign offers videos, downloadable print materials, online communications, and other resources about how to defend personally identifiable information. Visit the campaign Web page to access this information.
Tip of the Month
• Hit Ctrl+Alt+Delete to secure your computer every time you leave your workstation.
Do Your Part to Prevent Identity Theft
• Additional information is available in the Information Security and Privacy Awareness folder accessed through the Education Info Apple on any Richmond VAMC Computer.
• Visit the campaign Web page for videos and free tools
• Email your questions to email@example.com
• Contact Charlene Davis for more information at 804 675-5969.