VA » Health Care » Hunter Holmes McGuire VA Medical Center - Richmond, VA » Features
Hunter Holmes McGuire VA Medical Center - Richmond, VA
- Richmond VA now Center of Excellence
- Central Virginia VA Health Care System (CVHCS) is currently the only VA in the country to be designated as a Screening Center of Excellence. “The population of Veterans in which we serve are at a very high-risk...
- VA serves fastest-growing Veteran population
- Women Veterans may be interested to know just how extensively women’s gynecological care has developed over the last few years. Dawn Bates, a 38-year-old Navy Veteran, recently sought gynecological care at CVHCS.
- Families find comfort in bereavement support
- “The family members I have spoken to are often living alone and have either suffered the loss of a spouse or family member or are unable to visit their ill loved one in the hospital or … nursing home,” Rohrer said.
- Richmond VA’s AT team shields staff from COVID-19
- The four-person AT team designed three face shield prototypes tested by staff for fit and function. Although most supplemental face shields are produced by 3-D printers, the CVHCS team had a better idea.
- Richmond VA assists Vet with new prosthesis
- After many years of struggling with foot fractures and infections, a Marine Corps Veteran knew it was time to seek care at the VA. Purcell reached out to the Central Virginia VA Health Care System (CVHCS) for support.
- CVHCS awarded $3.7M to study ES in SCI Veterans
- The CDMRP awarded a grant worth $3.7 million to CVHCS and VCU. The grant is the first of its kind at a VA medical center to study spinal epidural stimulation in people with spinal cord injuries.
- Richmond’s VIP Center improves quality of life
- “I lost at least 20 pounds from changing my diet and learning how to read food labels,” Miller said. She graduated from the program in November 2018 and went from a size 18 in clothing to a size 10.
- PADRECC relieves Veteran's PD symptoms
- An Army Veteran diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease, is now thriving thanks to care received at Central Virginia VA Health Care System. “I haven’t had one head shake since the surgery,” Howe said.
- VA Leverages Health Care Innovation
- VA is expanding its use of a new proven medical device that advances the early detection of diabetic foot ulcers in the Veteran population. Studies show that one in four Veterans have Diabetes...
- Richmond pilot study for substance abuse treatment
- A national Dept. of Veterans Affairs program is helping to fulfill one doctor’s purpose of delivering compassionate and effective care to Veterans at Central Virginia VA Health Care System.