VA » Health Care » Hunter Holmes McGuire VA Medical Center - Richmond, VA » Features
Hunter Holmes McGuire VA Medical Center - Richmond, VA
- Emergency Nurses Week
- The week of Oct. 7-13 is Emergency Nurses Week, which honors the men and women who assist patients requiring immediate, precise medical care. McGuire aims to use that week to show gratitude for ED nurses.
- Parking Garage Now Open
- After more than a year of hard work, the parking garage officially opened Sept. 12 and is available for use. The garage and surrounding parking areas create 647 new parking spaces.
- McGuire VA mental health summit
- McGuire VA Medical Center brought together community partners and organizations to improve collaboration in Veterans’ mental healthcare at their annual Mental Health Summit held Aug. 17.
- Second Fisher House to break ground Sept. 26
- A second Fisher House will be built on the grounds of McGuire VA Medical Center in Richmond, with the groundbreaking ceremony to be held Sept. 26, the 108th anniversary of Zachary Fisher's birth.
- McGuire radiology improves mammogram access
- McGuire's new same-day mammogram program allows some Veterans to self-schedule their appointments without seeing their women’s health or primary care provider first – something they could not do previously.
- Veterans, employees focus on whole health
- Healthcare rapidly evolves, but many methodologies fail to address issues that lie beneath the surface or they utilize chemical treatments where alternative medicine could work instead.
- Innovators Network begins monthly workshop series
- McGuire’s Innovators Network recently began a monthly workshop rooted in the principles of design thinking and human-centered design to bring new skills and training opportunities to employees.
- Wife learns new skills to bring husband home
- Navy Veteran Richard Cole wanted nothing more than to return to the comforts of home with his loving wife, Yvette. Richard was told his only option was to relocate to a nursing home.
- Braille American flag commemorates blind Veterans
- A Braille version of the American flag, which reads the Pledge of Allegiance, has been placed on the wall outside McGuire VA Medical Center’s leadership suite, next to the public affairs office.
- McGuire osteoporosis expert recommends bone scans
- One out of five men age 50 or older will experience an osteoporosis-related fracture in his lifetime. Dr. Robert Adler said osteoporosis has too long been wrongly stereotyped as a women’s disease.