Hunter Holmes McGuire VA Medical Center - Richmond, VA
Vision and Blind Rehabilitation
Vision and Blind Rehabilitation Services are available for VHA eligible Veterans and Active Duty Servicemembers with diagnosed vision related disorders who are experiencing difficulties with daily tasks and activities:
• Low Vision or Vision Rehabilitation Examination, prescribed low vision aids, and therapy to enhance remaining vision.
• Visual Skills-instruction with prescribed optical, lighting, electronic aids, and therapies, to enhance visual motor and perceptual skills for near, intermediate, and distant visual needs
• Orientation and Mobility- orientation to the environment and safe indoor/outdoor travel skills for independence at home, work or community.
• Communication- skills in typing, handwriting, braille, telephone use, record keeping and recording
• Activities of Daily Living-money management, grooming, cooking and meal preparation, telling time, organizational skills
• Manual Skills-tactual abilities, simple repairs, adaptive measuring, hand tools, hobbies, crafts
• Computer Access and Technology (CAT) evaluation and training with large print, voice output software systems, reading machines, learn office tools, scanning, E-mail, Internet access, appointment management, downloading books, IOS devices and apps for people with visual impairment.
• Adjustment to Vision Loss Assistance-supportive counseling to address the losses, stress, isolation and impact on family and relationships; Case management and resources available.
• Socialize, Learn, Share, Leisure, and Volunteer Activities- VIST Support Group, bowling, trips, and activities and meetings of the Blinded Veterans Association.
• Overnight Hotel Lodging Program for more intense training, with eligibility requirements, including medical authorization, and independence in medical management and self care.
• Home visits for special needs as determined by the rehabilitation team.
For more information and referral eligibility, contact: Evelyn Cabrera- Heatwole, Visual Impairment Services Team (VIST) Coordinator.
Richmond VA Medical Center
Room 1-B-006 C
Hours of Operation